Premier League: Nottingham Forest 1-1 Burnley

By Score More

Callum Hudson-Odoi made a memorable return to the Premier League, reminding fans of his capabilities as he scored a brilliant debut goal that secured Nottingham Forest a 1-1 draw against Burnley.

It’s been 18 months since the 22-year-old last graced England’s top flight, as his once-promising Chelsea career seemed to lose momentum. However, after a year-long loan spell at Bayer Leverkusen, he made a spectacular comeback.

Following his deadline-day transfer from Stamford Bridge, Hudson-Odoi shone as Forest’s standout performer. He drew his team level with a remarkable curling strike in the second half, answering Zeki Amdouni’s earlier goal for Burnley.

Hudson-Odoi reunites with Steve Cooper, his former manager during his time with the England Under-17 World Cup-winning squad. England’s head coach, Gareth Southgate, will be hopeful that the Welshman can bring out the best in a player he hasn’t utilized since 2019. Hudson-Odoi is even contemplating a switch of international allegiance to Ghana.

For Burnley, the point earned in this match marked the beginning of a recovery after three consecutive defeats. However, they may feel a bit frustrated as VAR denied them a late winner, and they ended the game with 10 players after Lyle Foster was sent off for elbowing Ryan Yates.

During the opening 20 minutes, Forest, fielding debutants Hudson-Odoi and Ibrahim Sangare, displayed energy and pace on the counter-attack, causing problems for Burnley.

Hudson-Odoi, playing his first Premier League match since January 2022, seemed to be enjoying himself and saw a shot blocked after cutting in from the left.

In the 16th minute, he came even closer as Taiwo Awoniyi set him up, and his 20-yard attempt was expertly parried away by Clarets’ goalkeeper James Trafford.

Despite Forest’s early dominance, Burnley began to find their rhythm in the match. They issued a warning in the 25th minute when Amdouni unleashed a low shot toward the bottom corner, but Matt Turner dived skillfully to keep the ball out.

However, Burnley managed to take the lead in the 41st minute when Luca Koleosho outpaced Joe Worrall on the left and squared the ball for Amdouni, who calmly slotted it into the bottom corner.

Hudson-Odoi emerged as Forest’s most dangerous player, breathing life into the City Ground just after the hour mark.

Awoniyi did a commendable job controlling a high cross, and he laid it off to the former Chelsea winger, who expertly cut inside and sent a curling 20-yard shot into the net off the post. This goal survived a VAR review.

Burnley thought they had reclaimed the lead in the 76th minute when Sander Berge eluded Scott McKenna and set up Foster, but the Norwegian was adjudged to have handled the ball, denying the visitors a goal.

Foster’s experience with VAR took a turn for the worse in added time when referee Robert Jones was called to review the pitchside monitor following the forward’s elbowing of Yates, resulting in a red card.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *